The term “Technology” is derived from the Greek word “Technologia” and “techne” means “craft” and “logia” means the “study of something”. Technology is a very broad concept and is used to refer to several braches of science and study. Some examples are information technology, medical technology, biotechnology, etc. As the term technology branches into various fields of science and study, so do its benefits. Let us look at the benefits of technology in some major areas of day-to-day life:
1. Benefits of Technology in Business:
Today technology is an integral part of any business right from the purchase of computers and software to the implementation of network and security tools. This helps businesses to:
- Remain up-to-date
- Drive business forward
- Sustain and survive competition
In short, technology has become one of the significant factors that maximize an organization’s ROI.
Technological advancements in the field of education are fast evolving. Today, e-learning is a familiar and popular term. Some of the benefits of technology in this field are:
2. Benefits of Technology in Communication:
From hand-held computers to touch phones, technological advancements in the field of communication are endless. The means and the modes of communication are unlimited. Some of the benefits of technological advancements in the field of communication are:
- Speed : time is no longer a constraint in communication
- Clarity : With megapixel images and video, and high fidelity audio systems clarity in communication has become a never-before experience
- Proximity : technological advancements have made the world a smaller place to live in
- Dissemination : whether spreading information, broadcasting news, or sharing knowledge, technology has made it faster, easier, and smarter
3. Benefits of Technology in Education:
Technology has evolved and transformed our lives and society. Overall, it has brought about tremendous growth and benefit to mankind.
- Personalized learning experience: Learners are able to take control and manage their own learning. They set their own goals, manage the process and content of learning, and communicate with peers.
- Immediate response: Most e-learning programs provide immediate feedbacks on learner assessments. Similarly there are features such as chat, discussion boards, e-libraries, etc that allow clarifications at a faster pace than in traditional classrooms.
- Self-paced: Learners can chart courses at their own pace. This ensures higher levels of motivation both in terms of completing the course as well as in performance.
- Greater access: Technological advancements have opened education to learners with learning disabilities and in remote locations.
4. Benefits of Technology in Healthcare:
The marriage between medicine and technology has reshaped healthcare and revolutionized the medical profession. Some of the major benefits are:
- Secure environment: Technology allows physicians and patients to interact in a secure and comfortable environment to discuss sensitive issues.
- Flexibility: Physicians can answer routine and less critical queries at a convenient time.
Cost- and time-saving: Physicians can follow-up, provide advice, and re-direct patients to resources on the Internet. This saves cost and time by reducing office visits.
- Medical devices: Medical aids allow patients to continue recovery at home reducing their hospital stay.
- Vulnerable population: Technology aids the very young, elderly, and patients with complex birth defects, chronic illnesses, and disabled children by alleviating their problems so that they can continue living in their homes.
5. Benefits of Technology in Society:
Today technology pervades almost all aspects of our daily life from shopping, banking, making travel arrangements to university admissions. Some of the benefits are:
- Convenience: Provides a great deal of convenience in expediting personal and business transactions be it shopping, banking, or simply paying bills.
- Speed: From sending gifts to making payments everything gets a done with a few clicks.
- Communication: The world is a smaller place and technology allows everyone to keep in touch with their families and friends at a more affordable cost.
- Accuracy: Technology has reduced errors in mundane and monotonous chores, saving time and cost.
- Development: Technology has brought about development in many fields such as medicine, government, business, education, etc.